Candela Obscura Quickstart Guide
You’re needed, investigators: join the secret society Candela Obscura to confront occult horrors from beyond, keeping hidden the true nature of magickal incursions besetting our world.
This quickstart guide takes you on a journey through the new tabletop roleplaying game Candela Obscura as featured in the new monthly anthology series on Critical Role’s Twitch and YouTube channels!
Get immersed in Candela Obscura’s turn-of-the-century inspired setting, learn about the secret society Candela Obscura and its rival factions, and take a spin through a sample assignment using pregenerated characters and the Illuminated Worlds System. Grab nine 6-sided dice (or pick up our gorgeous Candela Obscura Dice Set) and you’re ready to go.
The full Candela Obscura Core Rulebook will come out in late 2023, but start playing today with this free quickstart guide!
This download includes:
- A primer to the world, people, and principles of Candela Obscura
- Quickstart rules to the Illuminated Worlds System
- An example assignment with advice for gamemasters
- NPCs and additional organizations to encounter and enhance play
- A set of 5 pregenerated characters
- A blank circle sheet
- Field Guide reference sheets
Consider this your invitation, your initiation, to the secret order Candela Obscura.
- Lead Game Design: Spenser Starke and Rowan Hall
- Written By: Rowan Hall and Spenser Starke
- Additional Game Design: Christopher Grey, Tracey Harrison, and Taliesin Jaffe
- Editor: Karen Twelves
- Managing Editor: Matthew Key
- Production: Ivan Van Norman and Alex Uboldi
- Artists: Shaun Ellis, Jamie Harrison, Amelia Leonards, Marc Moreau, Stevie Morley, Justin O’Neal, and Doug Telford
- Layout: De La Rosa Design
- Cultural Consultants: Basheer Ghouse, Christine Sandquist, Erin Roberts, Pam Punzalan, and Anthony Joyce-Rivera
- Ancient Fairen Alphabet Design: Stevie Morley
- Illuminated Worlds Game Design: Stras Acimovic and Layla Adelman
- Original Concept Created By: Taliesen Jaffe and Chris Lockey